Are Air Purifiers Effective at Removing Smoke From Your Air?
The answer is yes IF you buy the right air purifier.
Deciding on an air purifier to remove smoke is a big decision. You need the facts because you don't want to buy an inferior product that won't work as advertised.
This information will help you make the best decision.
AIR PURIFIER REVIEWS - TOBACCO SMOKE & SMELL
We searched the marketplace for air purifiers that could effectively remove cigar, cigarette, and other smoke. We scoured the spec sheets on dozens of air filters and spoke with the manufacturers. We also looked at a lot of “best-rated air filters” web sites (most are set up to push one particular brand, certainly not the best). What we found was just a lot of plain old bad or misleading information.
Ultimately, we found only a handful of companies that were making air purifiers that used significant amounts of both true HEPA medical filters and carbon in their filters. We included those in the final air cleaner rankings and reviews listed below.
And, we also looked at the cost of ownership over five years.
We recommend the Austin Air Allergy Machine™. It is not only highly effective at removing smoke and allergens, but it is also the best value.
The Austin Air Allergy Machine™ is designed and recommended to remove smoke. It is also well designed for people struggling with severe allergies, asthma, and those living in areas prone to high amounts of seasonal pollen and dust issues.
Austin Air developed a unique HEGA (High-Efficiency Gas Absorption) filter for the Allergy machine.
What is an HEGA Filter?
The HEGA filter combines a high-tech Military Grade Carbon Cloth filter that removes odors, gasses, and VOC’s with a medical-grade true HEPA filter. This combination of the Military Grade Carbon and true HEPA filter is especially well suited to remove smoke and airborne allergens.
- Top air cleaner for removing smoke
- Consistently rated at the top in independent testing
- Austin Air developed a unique HEGA (High-Efficiency Gas Absorption) filter for the Allergy Machine™ combining military-grade carbon cloth for removal of smoke, odors, gasses, and VOCs with true HEPA filtration
- Highly effective and especially well-suited in removing smoke and airborne allergens
- Certified to remove 99.97% of all airborne particles 0.3 microns or larger
- Permafilter prefilter, designed to be vacuumed from the outside; eliminates costly filter changes (long filter life means better long-term value)
- Five-year warranty on mechanical all parts and labor
- Filter Guarantee: Five-year pro-rated guarantee under normal residential use
- Three speed settings: lowest setting is less than 50 Db, the equivalent of the sound of a whisper
- Designed to run continuously
- Special layer of military carbon cloth for the adsorption of smoke, odors, gasses, and chemicals
- Bottom plate easily removed for filter access (although you won't need to access the filter for years)
- Baked-on powder coat finish that will not off-gas
- Perforated steel intake allows for 360º intake
- Air flow output from upper deck, directed from one side creating a clean air pocket
- Available in sandstone, white, black, and midnight blue
- FREE Shipping (within US contiguous 48) via UPS ground; ships from NY usually same business day; 4-7 business day transit time; contact us for expedited shipping rates if interested - 1-800-221-5109
- 30 Day Money Back Guarantee if not completely satisfied
- Made in the USA
- Cleans up to 1500 sq ft. Perfect size for 1 story home or apartment.
- Height 23" Width 14.5"
- Weight 35 lbs (rolls easily on casters)
- 60 square feet true HEPA medical filter medium
- Cleans up to 700 sq ft. Perfect size for a single room.
- Height 16.5" Width 11"
- Weight 12 lbs
- 30 square feet true HEPA medical filter medium
AIR PURIFIER RATINGS - Key Comparisons
Five-Year Total Cost Comparison